in the past few years or so, i’ve made a LOT of dietary changes. i’ve gone from almost living off of processed and premade foods, to now eating a mostly plant-based, raw diet. don’t get me wrong… i can’t turn down a cookie! and i’ll NEVER turn down a rare steak! MMM! but the way in which i see eating is completely different. it’s a whole lifestyle; not just a diet!
i could have a whole entire other blog about food… not even exaggerating. so please bear with me while i try to get my point across in ONE POST. it’s gonna be a challenge… and a challenge for you! see what i did there? haha. i’m so lame!
the challenge is: to follow a plant-based diet for at least 30 days! & i bet you won’t wanna go back after! (details below!)
WHAT is a plant-based diet?
a PBD is a diet that’s heavy in fruits, vegetables, legumes, and whole grains. it’s NOT vegetarian NOR vegan. i think that’s a HUGE misconception/misuse of the phrase. you still eat small amounts of fish, lean meat, and dairy. those who claim a PBD diet is indeed vegan are INcorrect…that would just make it vegan, haha. but this is plant-BASED.
so when you eat meats and dairy products, try to buy from your local farmers market, and limit your meat consumption to grass-fed, hormone-free, wild meats and organic, hormone-free dairy products.
(quick blip – you don’t “need” meat to get all the protein you need. for example, my kefir has 11 grams of protein per serving, and i drink it every morning with breakfast. okay, i’ll get off my soapbox now.)
WHY follow a plant-based diet?
- overall health (heart health, gut health, eye function, lower BP, diabetes prevention, cancer-fighting properties, etc, etc)
- increased proper bodily function (bowel health, skin health, healing, sleeping, etc)
again, i could write a whole ‘nother blog on following a plant-based diet. fah realz. for now, i’ll link you to some pretty outstanding articles and videos, because i don’t want to beat a dead horse (these are random, but good):*
- mark bittman’s “what’s wrong with what we eat” (TedTalks..netflix/youtube)
- heribert watzke’s “the brain in your gut” (TedTalks…netflix/youtube)
- “defying disease”: TedTalks series
- rethinking the meat guzzler
- the nutritional adequacy of plant-based diets
- the effects of a low-fat, plant-based dietary intervention on body weight, metabolism, and insulin sensitivity
- the role of dietary fats in plant-based diets
- traditional food-processing and preparation practices to enhance the bioavailability of micronutrients in plant-based diets
- plant-based foods and prevention of cardiovascular disease
- the nutritional value of plant-based diets in relation to human amino acid and protein requirements
- plant foods and plant-based diets: protective against childhood obesity?
- forks over knives (netflix) (although this brings up valid points, i do NOT agree with all the information presented.)
*i tried to use publicly available links instead of pulling summaries from my research database. if they don’t work, please let me know and i can personally email the articles to you. and no, i won’t share your email addresses with anyone else!
please DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH as well. learn about the nutritional content of foods and what your body needs daily! this isn’t something that can be jumped into without some thought. you need to ensure you’re getting what your body needs!!
THE 30 DAY PBD CHALLENGE:
- no processed sugar
- no processed food (if it comes in a bag or box premade or “ready in 5″, you don’t want to eat it)
- meals/snacks overwhelmingly based on fruits and veggies
- when meats are consumed, ensure they’re hormone-free/organic/grass-fed/free-range/etc/etc
- ensure water/liquid intake is sufficient for proper bodily function**
> what this challenge IS NOT:
- going to follow vegetarianism. unless you want to, of course.
- to lose crazy amounts of weight… i don’t even wanna get into this.
- to be skinny. it’s not a fad diet. it’s a lifestyle for your HEALTH!
> what this challenge IS:
- to learn about healthier, fresher food options for your body’s nourishment
- to be healthier and feel better
- to be raw and plant-based, but don’t overwhelm yourself!
- learn how to get proper amounts of protein NOT from meat
- learn to regulate proper liquid intake
if you’d like to join the challenge with me and other crunchies, comment below with:
“i pledge to take the 30 day PBD Challenge to learn about nutrition and to better my health. i also pledge to not overwhelm myself and know that the AE crunchy community is here for me.” …and then put your start/end dates. i’ll post the 1st comment to get things rollin!
i’ve created a pinterest board just for this challenge. let’s ALL pin our raw food/plant-based recipes and information/research to this board HERE i’m still not really sure how to get everyone on it, so just let me know your pinterest name in your pledge comment and i’ll invite ya right to it! pleasepleaseplease!
and don’t forget to tweet me (@_almostexactlyblog) and the other crunchies about your journey with the tag #PBDchallenge.
let’s see those meals and hear the support!!!!
LET’S DO THIS, CRUNCHIES! i’m so excited for us!!
i feel like i should get into why i will NEVER completely give up meat and dairy (of course with accompanying research for BOTH sides of the argument)… but that’s definitely for another day…
who’s gonna take the challenge? who already follows a PBD?
see y’all on pinterest!
**please drink enough water! you should be getting roughly 1/2oz per pound of body weight OR 2/3oz per pound of body weight for very active people** an overwhelming majority of adults are chronically dehydrated and aren’t aware. i drink a glass of water first thing in the morning, 32oz bottle of water throughout the day before 5pm, a glass of water with lunch, then another glass of water between getting home and going to sleep. the 32oz during the day has really helped me stay on track! i drink almond milk too, so i adjust my water intake accordingly. there is a such thing as being OVERhydrated and it’s dangerous, just as being dehydrated is.
disclaimer: ALWAYS talk to your healthcare professional before changing your diet and lifestyle. and DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!!! your participation in the 30 day PBD challenge is completely voluntary. i will not be held accountable for anything stemming from, or related to, following this challenge.