i have tried sooooo many face washes/cleansers/acne-get-ridders/etc… but each one has something i don’t like about it. too drying, too oily, too many chemicals, not organic enough…etc, etc.
well my friends, i have hit the facial cleaning jackpot!! after lots and lots of research, i tried the oil cleansing method. what’s that, you ask? it’s cleaning your face and getting rid of the oils with another oil. that seems like the exact OPPOSITE of what you’d want to do, especially with acne-prone skin, but here’s the jist:
- oil dissolves oil
- your natural oil helps lubricate, it also heals, protects, and moisturizes your skin so that it may function properly
also, zooey deschanel uses the OCM. that’s really all i need to know. life complete.
overall, it’s suggested that you use a blend of two oils, specific to your needs. the first always being castor oil. castor oil will help with excess oil on your face and is anti-inflammatory. (for those of you worried about shelling out money for castor oil, you can use it for other health and beauty benefits, like growing your eyelashes and using it to help your immune system.) keep in mind that very little goes a long way, and if you add too much castor oil to your specific oil blend, it will DRY your skin out!
the second oil you blend your castor oil with can be one of many oils, such as sunflower seed oil, argan oil, or olive oil. i use argan oil and LOVE it. also, it can be used with ANY skin type. it’s pricey, but very worth it! check it out here.
creating your blend of deep cleansing oil:
- Oily Skin: mix 30% castor oil with 70% other oil of your choice
- Balanced Skin: mix 20% castor oil with 80% other oil of your choice
- Dry Skin: mix 10% castor oil with 90% other oil of your choice
- use 1 organic oil, like argan oil. i find this to be the best for my sensitive skin!
- wipe your face (make-up or not) with warm water and a wash cloth
- slather a generous puddle of your oil blend onto your face and massage gently for two minutes (i use a dime-size amount because a little argan oil goes a LONG way)
- put the wash cloth under HOT water and gently wring out excess water so it doesn’t drip on you (don’t burn yourself! this is meant to “steam” your face)
- place washcloth over your face and relax until it cools off
- gently massage/wipe the oil from your face with the same wash cloth
- heat up the wash cloth again with the hot water
- place over your face again until it cools off
- massage/wipe off your face again with the wash cloth
- allow your skin to air dry
- voila, super soft, super clean skin!!
you will be surprised at the dirt you see on the washcloth. i had my boyfriend try it after he showered and this method STILL took dirt out of his pores :)
IF YOU CAN’T GET THE OCM TO WORK FOR YOU (OR ARE TOO NERVOUS TO EXPERIMENT WITH OIL BLENDS)– try use pure emu oil. it’s my 3rd favorite oil (behind coconut and argan) and is PERFECT for every skin type. it’ll clena your skin, heal blemishes and scars, reduce redness, etc. my grandparents had an emu farm when i was growing up and we used emu oil for EVERYTHING. seriously. mosquito bite? slap some emu oil on it. acne? slap some emu oil on it. it’s crazy good. i personally only trust this brand. it’s pricey, but not as much as argan oil, AND a very little goes a long way! and it’s so versatile!! you can even take it internally as a supplement!
>> i do this every 4ish days, sometimes less. i wash with water only and a washcloth in between ocm days. and i exfoliate with a watery baking soda paste every week to week and a half. it works great for me!
i believe it also needs to be noted you must also take care of your skin internally… drink lots of water, eat right, exercise, etc.
seriously people, this stuff works wonders. try it and lemme hear about it!!
**one amazing reader emailed me a link to THIS informative oil cleansing site. it covers what types of oils to use, different recipes to try, and common mistakes. thanks, Sandy!!!